Thursday, August 20, 2015

Rock 29: Cliff Rock ~ August 20 2015, Cambria CA

This evening I found my favorite bench empty and sat and watched the ocean for a long time. I saw a lot of pelicans nearby, seeming to come from just below the bluff, so I wandered to the edge and saw a path down to the rocks below.
This rock is part of the rough emery board-like rock that is under the bluffs. It seems it can be crumbly, but some of it is hardened, as is the rock piece I found today. Here it is with its parent cliff, which had formed a cubby large enough so I could sit there for awhile to watch the ocean again.



I like the texture and the color of this selection today. I am always happy to find striation in a rock as well. I want to learn more about the geological history that gives these rocks their layers. This rock is approx 1 7/8" at the diagonal and 
is very gritty. 





No comments:

Post a Comment